Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tips and tricks

I find that I cross stitch by strands instead of in any type of pattern. I know this typically isn't how cross stitching is done but it works out beautifully for me because I can see how the picture is coming together. I'll start with one color and work with it until I run out of the set I started with (the set being the strands that are wrapped together, usually 6 to a set) then I'll start on another one that is around the first set so that I'm actually working from the inside out.

If the pattern calls for 2 strands I have found that it is easier to take one strand and double it up instead of taking two and having to cut it so it's not too long. If it's doubled up it's half the size of the strand and works perfectly without getting knotted.

*If you're new to cross stitching it will be to your benefit to get a hoop or frame of some type to hold your fabric in. It's much easier to do this way and cuts down on frustration quite a bit!!

4 comments:

  1. I've always stitched the same as you. It's quite common, I think. I always say, "I'll do blah, blah, blah after I finish this thread." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that stitches like this!! Everytime I see updates I see sooooo many threads sticking out of the design and think to myself that I'd never ever be able to do that. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stitch this way as well, so that my pattern grows in a rather orderly fashion. Welcome to the world of blogging!
    Hugs,
    Chris G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris!! I think that by stitching in a way that allows you to see the picture evolve makes you want to work on it even more. Plus the finished image is always worth it!!

    ReplyDelete